Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Gedenkstätte Haus der Wannsee-Konferenz & Marlene Dietrich

Both of these were a part of my German course, and I thought I'd share them since they're not really anywhere tourists would think of going but places I'm glad I had a chance to see.

Das Gedenkstätte Haus der Wannsee-Konferenz was the site of the Wannsee Conference of 1942 where top Nazi officials decided on a "final solution to the Jewish problem." The memorial and museum is split into many rooms, each with a different theme.



The Nuremberg Laws set forth laws that began the persecution of Jews.



Wannsee is a bit of a trek from the city but nevertheless lovely, undoubtedly particularly so in summer. The history is a bit of a shame though.



And I visited a couple of spots around Berlin commemorating the life and career of Marlene Dietrich. I already shared a couple of photos, but these were taken a bit later.

The cemetery where she is buried:



I believe these are some of the earliest grave sites, mostly dating from late 19th century to pre-WWI.

People were taking walks with friends and their babies in strollers through the cemetery, which I found kind of odd. But then again I was there taking photos!

And Marlene's place of birth. Apologies for the lackluster photos but 1) a lot of people actually live here and it was kind of embarrassing trying to take photos of the entrance to their building and 2) it wasn't very bright out by the time I got there, plus the weather of late doesn't help that one bit. You can find it at Leberstraße 65 (formerly Sedanstraße 53) in Schöneberg.




No comments:

Post a Comment