Friday, January 17, 2014

East Side Gallery Revisited + Solo Adventures

We get Fridays off from classes and originally I had planned on heading out to Dresden for the day. I didn't end up going because I didn't feel up for being out for 12 hours, much of which would be spent on the round trip bus ride. The jetlag has been quite cruel; the first week, I could barely sleep and now that's all I really want to do.

Somehow I dragged myself out of the house and decided to start early on my presentation for Monday. I had to visit and take photos of a few places where Marlene Dietrich lived and worked when she was in Berlin. Today, I only managed to see Kaiser Wilhelm's Memorial Church (where she got married) and Deutsches Theater Berlin (her first theater performance).


The church has actually been left in its post-WWII condition, but I believe those panels are there as they are in the process of restoring it. Unfortunately in Berlin, many things were damaged if not destroyed during the war, and most of what looks in good condition now is not what it historically was. Most of these old buildings are really not more than 100 years old if you take into consideration the extensive work that was undertaken to get them to their current state.

Somewhere in between the church and the theater, I got overwhelmed by a huge street of shops. We are talking Zaras on both sides of the street, one per block, like Starbucks back in the States. Lots of stores from low end to high end to Apothekes to grocery stores.

Shops on both sides with the church ruins in the center

The theater is in the cutest little location. There's this lovely city square and people taking strolls and biking around. The street leading up is quite serene with some random bars and restaurants in the basements of the buildings.




I had a chance to go back to the East Side Gallery in the afternoon in broad daylight and saw all of the favorites.




I will say the real shame is that people keep writing their own dumb shit on otherwise very amazing street art, as you can see above. No one asked for your input, thanks.

And here's a photo of me on the other side of the wall, where there's a quaint little river.


It was a long and tiring day. Everyone under 30 in Berlin is probably going out since it's Friday night, but I want to stay in my very toasty room. Ultimately, I will probably suck it up and drag my butt out the door after my laundry is done.

For the record, I only have a lot to share at this point since the city is still fairly new to me and sometimes I wander off at a bus or train stop with no idea where the hell I am and start walking. I'm sure the plateau effect will kick in at a certain point ;)

Tomorrow, I really need to get some (preferably cheap) gloves and finish taking photos for my presentation on Marlene Dietrich with visits to the building where she was born and also her grave, both of which are very close to where I'm currently staying.

One last photo to leave you with, again from the East Side Gallery with a handy English translation...


1 comment: