Thursday, January 16, 2014

Dinnertime Observations

When you don't really know a language too well but you're sitting at the dinner table and have nothing better to do than to listen to all these conversations going on around you for the next three hours, it really forces you to take down a few mental notes about cultural differences.
  1. Germans are very, very, very, very, very warm (warmherzig auf Deutsch!). I think there are misconceptions about them based on history and stereotypes, but they are some of the nicest people I've met. No, they do not appreciate small talk in grocery stores and on public transit the same way Americans do, but if you have even the remotest connection to them (for me in this case, via my host mom and sister), they treat you like their own kin.
  2. Speaking of which, I personally find Germans to expect the same amount of personal space (Abstand) as Americans do while in public places with strangers. However, when with friends or loved ones (or some random Asian girl they just met through a friend or loved one), that space can suddenly become very small. I think I made almost three faux pas tonight in greeting and bidding adieu, especially because I met many people for the first time tonight. Here, when everyone else is hugging while saying their goodbyes, that's what you gotta do too, even if you just met the person. Don't be me and end up shaking hands when the other person was in the process of initiating a hug.
  3. This point doesn't have much to do with culture, but damn do some of the older generation have great stories to tell about all the changes they've experienced in this country.
  4. They really do know a lot about cars.
  5. Americans need to get their shit together and learn more languages. It's basically a given here to speak fluent English, and even the older generation speak English better than I do German. 
  6. Unlike in the U.S. and China, splitting the check is not at all awkward. Everyone pays for whatever they ordered and directly tells the server exactly how much they're paying, including any tip you can choose to give or not give (!!!), when handing over money. There's no bullshit with tax and compulsory tip for parties of 7+ or whatnot.
I had a lovely evening, although after a glass of prosecco, I was exhausted for the rest of the night. I met the rest of my very modern host family and overall it was quite the experience.

It's about time I take a shower and get to sleep. It's absolutely insane how much going through an entire day having to think constantly about a foreign language can drain you. And everyone keeps telling me I'm going clubbing or to a bar today or tomorrow or the day after that, if not the day after that. This city only gets wilder.

Gute Nacht!

No comments:

Post a Comment