Saturday, February 1, 2014

Fearless February

I am hours away from embarking on my first big solo trip. To be quite honest, I am scared shitless and have shed many tears over the past 24 hours; in fact, I may be borderline hysterical at this very moment. The scariest part is leaving and not having a "home" to return to at the end of the trip, all while having really no one to talk to if I get sad or lonely. As incredible as my host family has been, I don't really feel like Berlin is home yet. Normally, if I'm going anywhere, I have my mom, dad, and sister always there to welcome me with a hot shower, comfy bed, and tons of hugs and kisses.

I know this all sounds like one big first world problem. I should be extremely thankful that I even have the means to go on this trip which, despite my best attempt at backpacking on a budget, will cost simply too much. Don't get me wrong - I am so glad to have this opportunity, but it's undeniable that I am homesick.

...but we all had to leave home at some point, right? I felt the same way when I flew alone for the first time and when I moved into the dorms for my first year of college, and I'll undoubtedly feel that way again when I move away for work or to start my own family. These are all a part of life's travels.

Okay, Annie. Cut the sap and get it together. Just keep your mind open, be friendly (not too much), and don't be afraid to explore and have a good time!!!

To Ireland I go! Hopefully for one of these:


I'm traveling light, but I'll try and post a few times if I can. If not, bis März! Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment