Monday, February 3, 2014

Notes from Dublin

My oh my. What a precious, quirky little city.

Observations:

  • You think Starbucks in the States is out of control? Come to Dublin!
  • On the same note, Subway, Burger King, and McDonald's here are also everywhere.
  • For a small city, it's sure got a lot of visitors and a lot of shops. 
  • They really don't joke around when it comes to Guinness. 
  • Gaelic is a thing. Everything is in Gaelic first and then English. 
  • Their meals are heavy and should always be shared, which is perfect because the food is expensive!!!
  • Everything but some restaurants and most pubs close really early. 
  • There are a lot of Spanish visitors. You'd think they would prefer to stay in their own relatively warmer country in February. 
  • Irish history is something that more people should know about. I'm someone who admittedly knew nothing about Ireland and it's struggle for sovereignty - shame on me! But the people here are very open in sharing some pretty painful history, as well as the occasional English snub. 
  • Speaking of the people - my goodness!! So kind. The first woman I met was on the bus from the airport to the city center. She kept me company the whole ride. 
  • Some employees at shops and attractions told me it was cool that I am from California when they saw my ID. That made me kinda happy :)
  • I met an Irishman who told me he'd never met anyone like me before - an Asian girl with one of the foulest mouths he's ever encountered. I'm so proud!
Dublin was such a delight. I wish I could've stayed one more day to visit the Guinness Storehouse and to get lost wandering the Trinity College library. Next time!

I am currently on the train and I am still amazed by how green and lush this country is. And we just passed by some sheep. Ah, the pastoral life.

No comments:

Post a Comment